Tuesday 31 January 2012

Flying Saucer Goes to London


In a major operation I made this flying saucer pendant over the weekend, and shipped it off to London for the Craftsmanship & Design Awards 2012. 
I must be mad I reckon to make this pendant so quickly, whilst the techniques are simple, the finishing and attention to detail are what takes the time. 

This design came from a challenging idea I had about how to set spherical stones or objects into jewellery without a hole needing to be drilled through them.  Sometimes I think my head is strange place to live!

So being me I started playing with marbles, you see that childhood obsession with marbles has just come back to haunt me now, never did get over it apparently!  I never had enough marbles as a kid and now here I am turning them into jewellery! Which is fun I must admit and talk about playing slightly with people perceptions, perhaps I should be naming the pendant after Peter Pan characters as they loved their marbles too...  But at the end of the day at least I haven’t lost all of mine just yet as I have some other designs to play with and I need those marbles, now what happens when I run out? lol

No comments:

Post a Comment